Friday, February 29, 2008

Passport Cards Vs. Passport books

Edited to Add: New Travel Requirements effective June 1, 2009 - Read about it here

Many of my friends and clients have been asking me about the difference between the new passport cards and the passport books. The government has begun to accept applications for the new passport cards on February 1, 2008. The first cards will be issued sometime in May.

I had addressed information about the passport cards in another blog post. Here is a quick glance look at the difference between the two.

Passport Book- Valid for travel by air, sea and land

Passport Card- Valid for travel by land and sea only. Is limited to trvel between the U.S. and canada , Mexico, Bermuda and Carribean. It is not valid for travel by air.

Passport Book and Passport Cards are both valid for 10 years for adults and 5 years for minors.

Passport book- Costs- 1st time applicant- $100 - Minors $55

Passport Card - Cost- $45 for adult, $35 - minors

My suggestion would be to obtain the passport book. Its less restrictive, and it can be used for air travel, although its more expensive .

NEED TO GET A PASSPORT?- CHECK OUT THE SERVICE ON MY Look under "Travel Resources" at the bottom of the page and click on Passport and Visa Applications

Gail Walker RN, AKA GailTravel is a Travel Consultant in the Bronx New York . My goal is to provide you with your best travel experiences at reasonable cost.
Visit Her website at , And


Shane Belceto said...

Great suggestion I agree with it.

Expect Miracles...

GailTravel said...

Thank you Shane!!