Sunday, July 27, 2008

Randy Pausch- Dying to live


Randy Pausch was Carnegie Mellon professor whose greatest lesson was how to live even though he was dying. Diagnosed with one of the most devastating forms of cancer, which is pancreatic cancer he managed to teach the world how to live a life of fulfillment. Randy Pausch did not allow himself to be overcome with the thoughts of his unavoidable death, but he chose to make the most of the time he had.
Last August his doctors grimly predicted he had 6 months to live, but with his positive outlook he was able to actually able to extend his live another 5 months. My nursing experience tells me that was nothing short of a miracle.

Carnegie Mellon had a tradition of having professors speak at a forum sharing wisdom as if it was the last lecture of their lives. Randy Pausch did not have to pretend. Instead he shared a lecture on “childhood wonder”. I understand there was not a dry eye in the place. That lecture became known as “the Last Lecture”. It took off and was all over the internet. Dr. Pausch actually was a guest of Oprah along with Dr. Oz.

I cannot tell you the impact that his lecture had on me. After I watched his lecture on YouTube last Fall, my life concerns paled in comparison. He stated;
“If I don't seem as depressed or morose as I should be, sorry to disappoint you.”
Randy would tell people “I don’t know how to not have fun. I’m dying and having fun.” Sadly Randy Pausch lost his battle to cancer Friday, July 25, 2008 at the age of 47. However he did not lose his battle to Death, because he lived.

O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?
1 Corinthians 15:55

In Randy Pausch case, the grave lost its victory!

********************************************
Gail Walker RN, also known as GailTravel, is a Referring Travel Agent in the Bronx New York. A wife of 28 years, and a mother of 3 young men. She is pursuing her goal of financial freedom and helping others to do the same through Travel Network.
Visit Her website at,

See the My Travel Biz presentation at www.GailsVacationandTravel.com
*******************************************

No comments: